Cookies are ‘local storage file’ and are used to help websites function and enhance a users experience as well as in some cases collect data about a visitor’s activity on a website. By themselves web pages cannot hold and pass information easily. Cookies help overcome this. They are small text files that are created on a visitor’s computer to store information that aids the running of the website. Cookies come in many guises including:
- Session: Any first-party cookie with no expiry time, or more specifically any first-party cookie set to expire when the web browser is closed. First-party cookies are those with a domain name that matches the domain or any sub domain(s) of the actual site being analysed.
- Often this is essential data storage such as a user being able to login to the website account and move around the website whilst being kept logged in or being able to add items to their basket and consequently pay and complete a transaction. These cookies are temporary and when a browser is closed then they are removed
- Persistent Cookies: Any first-party cookie with a fixed expiry time in the future.
- Third-party: Any third-party cookie regardless of expiry time. Third-party cookies are those with a domain name that differs completely from the domain of the actual site being analysed
- These cookies can also be used by social networking websites such as Facebook or Twitter. If social bookmarking links are used on a website then Facebook and Twitter will use cookie to enhance a visitor’s interaction with these services. Google Analytics is also considered a third party cookie.
Cookies we use on GMP Drivercare
Below we list a breakdown of the cookies we use on this website and their purpose. Our usage of cookies is completely legitimate and we don’t collect any data for the purposes of cross website advertising.
Core Website Cookies
|PHPSESSID||Session||Required to allow preserved login session for Members area. These sessions are automatically deleted when a visitor closes the browser.|
|welcome||Persistent||Used in combination with the PHPSESSID to ensure the ‘new website’ welcome box is only displayed once per visitor.|
Third Party Cookies
|__utma||Google Analytics||Logs user activity on websites|
|__utmb||Google Analytics||Logs user activity on websites|
|__utmc||Google Analytics||Logs user activity on websites|
|__utmz||Google Analytics||Logs user activity on websites|
|NID||google.co.uk||Unique identifiers given to each computer to allow traffic analysis to Google Maps.|
|PREF||Google Analytics||Unique identifiers given to each computer to allow traffic analysis to Google Maps.|