Driving in the European Union after Brexit – Driving Licences

Current legislation means that UK driving licences are recognised across the European Union (EU) enabling motorists to drive without any issue. However, when the UK leaves the EU on 29h March 2019 UK motorists may require extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA countries.

If the UK leaves the EU with an EU exit deal then UK licence holders will be able to continue to drive in all EU and EEA countries using their UK driving licence. However, if the UK leaves the EU with no deal on 29th March 2019 then UK Drivers will require a valid International Driving Permit (IDP) when driving abroad.

These permits are an official, multi-language translation of your driving licence and are recognised worldwide. Each permit is valid for a single 12-month period and cost just £5.50 each. Permits can be purchased over the counter from 1 of the 2,500 Post Offices Branches across Britain. The Department for Transport has revealed that the number of branches expected to stock them is to increase to around 4,500 to be able to keep up with the overall demand.

Note that more than one IDP may be required in certain circumstances. For example, if driving through France (1968 IDP) to Spain (1949 IDP).

Drivers may need a 1968 IDP to drive in these EU and EEA countries:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgarua
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Italy
  • Lativa
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Sweden

A 1949 IDP will be required to drive in these EU and EEA countries:

  • Cyprus
  • Iceland
  • Malta
  • Spain

No IDP will be required to drive in Ireland.

A 1926 IDP may be required to drive in Liechtenstein.

Number plates

In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, a GB sticker may need to be displayed on any vehicle even if a Euro-plate is already on the vehicle. However, no GB sticker will be required if you replace a Euro-plate with a number plate that displays the GB sign without the EU flag.

Vehicle registration documents

In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, it will remain essential to carry either of the vehicle registration documents listed below when driving abroad for less than a 12-month period:

  • Your vehicle log book (V5C)
  • A VE103 to show you’re allowed to use your hired or leased vehicle abroad


For further information or read more visit: http://www.driverlinkmagazine.co.uk/ 

error: Content is protected !!
Subscribe !

Subscribe !

Join our mailing list to receive the FREE GMP Driverlink Magazine and offers from our team.


You have Successfully Subscribed!